All you need is love
She has been known to say that our love is not easy, but it's good. I am inclined to believe her. Not because I love her. Not even because she is full of grace and patience and drama (when her blood sugar is low) and logic (the rest of the time). But because she is right.
It isn't easy for all of the requisite reasons. We are human. We are broken. We are growing. And where there is growth, there is pain. We, like the Kingdom of God or freedom, live at once in the "here" and the "not yet come." But it isn't easy for other reasons, too.
It isn't easy because we are women. It is not the nature of our womanhood that is the difficulty, but the reaction of others to it. I would not call myself a feminist, but I do love being a woman. And I love that woman. But our shared womanhood breeds fear in some, and somewhat misplaced admiration from others. It brings with it expectations to be great fighters for change from some, or conniving purveyors of evil from others. Our shared womanhood carries with it assumptions from so many people on every side.
But today I don't want to change the world. And I have never wanted to gobble up your children. I just want to love and let love.
Because our love ain't easy, but it sure is good.
It isn't easy for all of the requisite reasons. We are human. We are broken. We are growing. And where there is growth, there is pain. We, like the Kingdom of God or freedom, live at once in the "here" and the "not yet come." But it isn't easy for other reasons, too.
It isn't easy because we are women. It is not the nature of our womanhood that is the difficulty, but the reaction of others to it. I would not call myself a feminist, but I do love being a woman. And I love that woman. But our shared womanhood breeds fear in some, and somewhat misplaced admiration from others. It brings with it expectations to be great fighters for change from some, or conniving purveyors of evil from others. Our shared womanhood carries with it assumptions from so many people on every side.
But today I don't want to change the world. And I have never wanted to gobble up your children. I just want to love and let love.
Because our love ain't easy, but it sure is good.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home