My inner elementary-school poet
We are working on some new concepts at school through poetry. Here are two of the ones I wrote today. I tried to channel my inner ten-year-old. My inner ten-year old has a better vernacular than my outer twenty-nine-year-old.
The first is about learning what synonyms are, how to use a thesaurus, and how to use advanced vocabulary. The second is about using metaphors and similes. The first is autobiographical, the second is not.
The first is about learning what synonyms are, how to use a thesaurus, and how to use advanced vocabulary. The second is about using metaphors and similes. The first is autobiographical, the second is not.
I’m Talking Old!
by Miss Chanelle
I’m talking old!
I’m talking ancient!
I’m talking antiquated, archaic, classic!
I’m talking antediluvian, outmoded, worn-out, antique.
I’m talking moth-eaten, broken-down, elderly, dilapidated, grey.
I’m talking obsolescent, prehistoric, grizzled, wrinkled, senile, geriatric.
I’m talking weathered, rusty, decayed, crumbling, deteriorating, creaky, “vintage.”
I’m talking old!
Sister for sale or for hire
by Chanelle Tye
My sister is an ogre,
My brother, he’s a dear
My sister, she is older
And really rather queer
My brother is fantastic
He’s like summer’s golden rays
My sis is like Vancouver rain
Which never goes away
My brother takes me skating
On days as cold as ice
My sister is a monster
She’s never, ever nice
He’s smart and full of thunder;
My brother is like Einstein
My sister makes me wonder
If she’s even mine.
Clearly, I am still lagging behind on the grown-up kind of writing that I am meant to be composing. But I had fun doing these this morning for the kiddos.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home